Friday, March 26, 2010

Woodlawn



Last Saturday was my guilds turn to docent at Woodlawn's 47th Needlework Exhibit. Every piece entered in the show was absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, pictures of the needlework are not allowed to be taken so I have no photos of the pieces which were exhibited. I had a great time we were short one docent so my mom joined me. She is not a member of our guild, but I think I am going to have to join her up anyway. She knows how to do cross stitch, but she prefers quilting. Funny how we come about our love of needlework. For as long as I can remember my mom has always made stuff, but her love is quilts. My love is antique samplers and reproductions. I have tried to quilt and I do not have patience for all the cutting and piecing. I do love how the colors and textures come together but I would prefer to work on sampler any day.

After we fulfilled our docent obligation we both enjoyed the tea which Nellie's Needlers put together for those visiting the show. We had a great time.

I didn't think to have someone take a picture of the two of us together. This is a photo I took of her and Lance during John's string concert this past January. As I have gotten older I treasure the time I have with my mom. I am the only girl so I get her just to myself. We usually talk on the phone everyday and I honestly don't know what I would do without her. Fortunately, she had me when she was young (I am also the oldest) so she only in her mid 60's and I pray everyday that means I have at least 30 - 40 more years with her.


A touch of Spring we found in the front lawn at Woodlawn. After our day of docenting and tea we headed to In Stitches what better way to end the day?

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have your mom, and to share your love of stitching and things! That's so awesome! I enjoyed visiting your blog. Found you through Siobhan. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to be so close to your mom and to have her join you for the day at Woodlawn, a lovely tea and for shopping at In Stitches?!

    My mom loves, loves, loves to sew and she made many of our childhood clothes, house curtains, her own clothes, etc...She dabbles in knitting and quilting. It was my grandmothers, aunties and cousins who embroidery, needlepoint and cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete